Monday, January 5, 2015

Lessons Learned from the Left Side


Unexpected insights from unanticipated circumstances. I learned some lessons recently from an experience I never thought I'd have. 

Part of my weekly routine of physical exercise involves both swimming and raquetball at the local Y. This particular week held a surprise. The two partners available came with injuries, both to their right hands. To play fair I played left-handed with them.

How awkward it felt and how awkward we must have looked to those walking by, glancing into the court through the plexiglass wall! I'm convinced that my left side can't jump as high as my right side. I missed far too many overhead lobs that I normally get. I found it to be a reasonable explanation!

I had a lot of thoughts running through my head, right alongside the calculations going on in my brain to translate a shot from "left brain - right-hand," to ", "right brain - left-hand." To know me is to know that I may actually have two left brains.

The list of what happened is long:
  • I made more mistakes
  • I completely missed the ball multiple times (we always encouraged each other with "good form!")
  • I found it more difficult
  • I used less skill - more shoulder and arm turn than wrist snap
  • I ran more
  • My left arm was sore
  • I ran into the other players, hitting one of them in the head, two different times, with my racquet
A few lessons learned along the way:

1. Do what I know how to do.

No matter how skilled I am at a craft, shifting hands or sides is more difficult and doesn't accomplish the same result.

There's a well known exercise, asking people to write their name with the dominant hand and then with the other. It's more difficult. It takes more time. It's not nearly as clear as the "stronger" hand.

Always listen, be open to learning but know my strengths and build on them. 

2. Shoring up my weaknesses is a helpful thing

I participated in a continuing education class this year that stretched me in new ways, teaching me new skills and shoring up some weaknesses. Honestly, it was one of the best - if not THE best - since Graduate School days. This particular process of executive coaching concentrates on owning and getting past weaknesses. But to be a good coach one must own his or her own weaknesses and know their own strengths, otherwise, as a coach, you'll fall into those comfort zones and be of no help to your client.

Weaknesses will eventually cap your leadership capacity, because strengths will take you only so far. Therefore, to level up your leadership, you must deal with your weaknesses.

3. Spending too much time worrying about my weaknesses can be harmful to those around me. 

Just as I hit one of my partners - twice - if all I do is spend time worrying about my weaknesses and trying to be better at _________________, it can damage relationships and have a negative impact on business.
This is NEVER me!

I'm glad I had the experience. I'll try anything once and my competitive side was determined to figure it out. But once the injuries healed, none of us has considered it as a viable alternative.

A wise friend said to me: "Do what you can and don't worry about what you can't." I could have complained or refused to play left-handed. But why? Learn something new. Deal with the ensuing deficits. Be aware of your weaknesses but don't use them as an excuse. By doing something about them you will get out of your comfort zone and into the learning zone. Life will grow larger.





No comments:

Post a Comment