Sunday, February 7, 2016

#4 - Small Groups (The Year of 52)

I was a bit of an arrogant teenager. Some might say I still am today! I like to know, I like being a part, I want to be where the action is. Call it dumb luck or arrogance, I'm glad God can use for good whatever pathetic morsel I have to offer. These are the things that make up my list of 52 Impacts & Experiences after 52 years of life.

Maybe I do keep everything!
It was 1978, my Freshman year in High School. I had moved into the "big" school and the "big" youth group at Anderson Hills Church. Mike Slaughter was our youth pastor. I don't know if he announced the start of a small group - called "Action Groups" - or he was forming one by personal invitation. What I do remember is it was for Juniors & Seniors in High School, of which I was not. I found out about it and therefore wanted to be part of it.

Again, I'm fuzzy on some details but I approached Mike and said: "I know I'm not a Junior or Senior but I don't think you're going to be here much longer and I'd like to be in that group with you." Whether immediate or after a little thought (probably immediate knowing Mike), he said: "As long as you do the work, you can join."

I'm not sure what the rest of the group thought about this wet-behind-the-ears, runny-nosed kid butting in, but what an experience it was. Life changing stuff with this group that may have included people like: Linda Layton Smith, Lisa Carey Erickson, Mark Erickson, Lynn Carey Pinner, Kevin Pinner, Joyce Palmer Geng, Kelly Wagner Oldham, Ron Johnson, Don Johnson, Rob Keller, Jay Wilson and I'm sure others. 

We studied the Book of Acts, read a book on discipleship by Leroy Eims and generally deepened our understanding of God's work for us through Jesus and His call on our lives to make disciples. Through Mike's leadership I learned to be more committed to God's Word than the shifting winds of the culture. As we studied the "acts" of the early disciples we clearly saw that their commitment to Jesus often ran counter to the culture, bringing into sharp relief God's call to holy living in the midst of the crowd.

Years later I came across a Bible translation by J.B. Phillips. The first verses from Romans 12 bring me back to that group sitting in the basement of Mike & Carolyn's townhouse:

"“Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould but let God re-make you so that your whole attitude of mind is changed. Then you will prove in
practice that the will of God is good...”

Squeezing is happening. Always has. Always will. The difference is whom or what will you allow to squeeze you and therefore shape you? What I learned in those early days of High School was the importance of constructing inner braces based on the unchanging truth of God's Word, so that when the pressure comes to capitulate, to conform, to follow the culture, I won't collapse. 

Small groups have been formative throughout my life since those days so long ago. I sat for many years in Stu & Betty Carey's family room, who led along with Barb Dierking, building relationships. I remember very little of the topics and "facts" learned. I do remember the people - people who gave of themselves to a bunch of teenagers because they thought we were worth something. They helped us see Jesus working in us by showing us Jesus through them.

Pastors groups and groups through the churches we've served, have helped shaped me into who I am today. I'm still in a small group because I still need more shaping.

Transformational growth does not happen in large groups but only in the more intimate fellowship of relationships around a family room or table. I'm grateful I learned that early on.

O, and Mike, I'll get you that report on the book...although it may have been eaten by the dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment