Sunday, September 9, 2012

An Election Year Guard

We don't get to control what circumstances come into our lives, choosing those which we keep out and those we embrace. What we are responsible for is our response to the circumstances. I find myself entering a time that I don't like - a Presidential election season. I don't enjoy the phone calls and the endless commercials (especially in the "battleground" state of Ohio). As a Christ-follower I don't believe I can ignore the election but must participate through my vote. What I can control is what I allow to take root in my heart.

This first post isn't about the election. It's about how I plan to guard my heart during these coming months. I hold firmly to some political beliefs. I don't talk about them at Church because I am called to be Pastor to a community which is filled with Independents, Democrats & Republicans. The most important priority it in my life is someone's relationship with Jesus, not their political persuasion.

Here are the steps I plan to take that I hope will help me "guard my heart."

1. I will pray for our leaders - elected and potential. Pay close attention to the phrase used to describe this God who is pleased by our prayers for our leaders. 1 Timothy 2:1-4 tell us:


"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."
The most important thing is the salvation of every individual. I want to make His priority my priority.

2. I will refrain from believing that those who believe differently (about politics) are infidels or unChristian. I am convinced of my beliefs and will cast my vote to see those ends achieved. But my faith must triumph over my politics. No matter what I believe politically, my number one concern is the salvation of the individuals in my community context.

I know persons who are fully devoted followers of Jesus and are political opposites of me. I will not call their spiritual commitment into question.

3. I will prepare to vote. My friend, Bill Keating, Jr., sends an email that reaches well over 10,000 people now. It was originally sent as coaching and advice for his children as they grew and left home. I appreciated one last week:
“America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You got to want it bad, because it's going to put up a fight. It's going to say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a person whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of their  lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.” - President Andrew Shepherd (from the movie, "The American President") 
To Do Today: The Presidential Election is 61 days away. Study the candidates and the issues. Engage in (civil) discussions with both sides to better understand their policies and positions. Be prepared to vote on November 6th.

These are some of the things I will be doing, all intended to guard my heart.

Our country has some serious problems. I don't know how we'll get through some of it. I'll leave that to others. I can take care of my own heart and as a Pastor seek to encourage and challenge the hearts of those in my community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment