Tuesday, September 11, 2012

GPS - God's Positioning System

I'd be lost without a GPS. That's sort of the point. Of course, we've all read stories about a Google map taking people to a place that wasn't right, or even ending up in the right city name in the wrong state.

Knowing where I am in the world helps me be at my best. When I know where I am I won't waste time, I'll be more effective and efficient. My life will have a greater impact if I know where I am because then I know how to get to where I'm going.

As I re-enter the world of the local church after a 3-month renewal leave/sabbatical, I'm trying to be careful I don't simply slip back into the same old habits, methods and practices. I've learned too many things this summer to just do the same old things.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- Aristotle
This summer I was able to see some habits in my life that have not been helpful. I was able to recognize routines that helped me be at my best.

First - I started with my Strengths (from StrengthFinders): Maximizer, Responsibility, Learner, Arranger & Belief. Then I did some thinking, heavily influenced by The Next Level book, about where I am at my best.

Second - I thought about the way I am based on these strengths. Because learner is a strength, for instance, I wrote down "Try new things." I know in order to be at my best I've got to try new things on a consistent basis. I don't always order the same thing at a restaurant. I can't eat the same cereal every day.


I'm getting ready to engage with a personal trainer (as the post-leave part of my Sabbatical grant) so that I can learn some new ways to exercise. I know that to be at my best I've got to feed that desire to learn.

I wrote down some things about reading (which I detailed in my previous Post). 

3. I then thought about the routines that are necessary for me to be at my best. Afterall, I can't not be committed to anything!

I listed things like: studying scripture and prayer; swim officiating; exercise; reading; writing; family time (if home isn't clicking, then life isn't clicking). I also became aware of the influence of time of day on some of these things. For instance, I study and write better in the morning hours. If I push it off to the afternoon, I'm more easily distracted.

This summer has been a recalibration of my GPS. It's part of the purpose of Sabbath (see Take Your Mark & The Rhythm of Sabbath). Re-focusing on Jesus as the central influence in my life, the One around whom life revolves. The One who makes me "at my best."

I'm still walking through this exercise. I want to know where I am, what works and doesn't work; what I need to purge and what I need to add or reinforce in my life.

Where are you at your best? Where can you re-order, re-structure life so that you are giving your best to your family, friends, boss and most importantly, to the Lord?


No comments:

Post a Comment