Monday, November 5, 2012

Ordinary People

Jason Gray sound check
God uses ordinary people for extraordinary things. I've said it. You've heard it. It became real again for me last night at a concert by Todd Agnew & Jason Gray @ Cornerstone. I had the chance to listen to them warm up, interacted with them casually, heard their stories during the concert and learned more about them on the drive to their hotel in Dayton in the wee hours of Monday!
Todd Agnew


Todd Agnew & Jason Gray w Spencer on percussion
They're ordinary guys - husbands, fathers, servants, musicians, followers of Jesus. They struggle with the same stuff I do. They are overjoyed with the same stuff that brings joy to my life - my kids! They love serving, helping people worship, honoring our Lord.

During the concert, Todd talked about the atmosphere being a "safe place" to share some stuff about life. As we neared the hotel I brought it up, saying: "When people ask me to describe Cornerstone I nearly always say 'It's a safe place for people to ask tough questions.'" If there's a piece of pride I could have about Cornerstone it is that. We have tried to make room for ordinary people to ask questions, the questions that keep them up at night; the confusing questions they wrestle with; the questions that have no answers.
Mark & Debbie Peters w Jason Gray
Jason and I talked about that last one on the ride. We both enjoy reading and of the different authors we both read, one favorite in common is Philip Yancey. He's not afraid to ask difficult questions and not come to a clear answer by the end of a book. Where he does come to that we both appreciate is a trust and faith in God who holds both the questions and the answers together.

Ordinary guys seeking to serve Jesus. Christian music stars who miss being around their families. Todd who calls his wife, first thing after a concert - family first, fans second. Jason who follows his wife's direction for sleep instead of a phone call. Smart man!

I appreciated hearing about struggles, ways God is growing their hearts, difficulties that some would use as excuses (like Jason's stuttering). Sometimes we raise people up on a pedestal, thinking they're different from the rest of us. I do it. Then I watch Jason kneel down in front of Drew, a young man disabled in a car wreck four years ago. He's a Jason Gray fan. Nobody else needed to see it, just Jason, Drew and Drew's parents. Ordinary people serving with what God has given.
One of my swim coaches reminded us about the competition - "they put their pants on the same way you do, one leg at a time." Every athlete I know has been injured - some choose to work through it - some choose to use it as an excuse. Every Christian I know wrestles with the same stuff - temptations, realizing how much they don't know, the memory of poor choices, wanting to grow in the discipline of prayer, burdened by concerns, missing family. Every marriage has the same issues. Every teenager feels the same way.

You are ordinary. I am too. We each have talents and gifts, God created, God given through Jesus. What will we do with them? We can allow the difficult things of life to make us think we're different, that the universe is against us. Or we can realize our shortcomings and fears and concerns remind us that we're human, and choose to give ourselves grace for the journey. God can do amazing things when ordinary people say, "Here I am Lord, send me."

w Jason Gray

1 comment:

  1. There are so many positive things to say about this concert that I'm not sure where to start. It definitely opened the doors of God's church to the community. There were times when we chose to keep others out for one reason or another and this never felt right. The worship center was full but it comfortable, warm, intimate and filled with the Spirit!

    Also, as Jason & Todd shared about their own struggles, ways they were still working to grow their faith, their love of family, their knowledge of scripture and life stories, I could feel God doing a work in me. I was surprised because they were places I thought I had traveled and that God had healed. Apparently there is more work to be done. And I know He must have been doing the same for others in that room too.

    Jeff, you are right in saying they are ordinary guys but God used them in a big way last night.

    I also pray that folks were willing to open their hearts to sponsoring a child. Mark & I are on our 5th World Vision child. Our hearts were moved in 1991 to sponsor a little girl after our miscarriage. We chose a child whose birthday was on the same day as our daughter's due date. We've never looked back and have never regretted this choice.

    I encourage Cornerstone to continue these type of events for the future. Please let me know if I can be helpful in this process.

    Linda Kessler

    ReplyDelete