Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's My Birthday - Things to Celebrate

Birthdays are good days. It means another year has gone and the gift of another one has been given. I always say that the alternative to growing older is simply unacceptable. One day I'll be ready to be done with this life, but not today and not anytime soon.

Birthdays are celebrations, full of good wishes, remembering, some gift-giving and a day to reflect in the midst of a normal work week. Here are a few of the things I'm celebrating:
  1. A wonderful wife who married me when I had hair and a passion and vision to change the world. I still have the passion and the vision. I'm so glad that she's committed to me.
  2. Children who are growing up to be fine young women and a young man. I'm proud of them and the direction their lives are heading. Not everything is set in their lives but that's what makes it exciting.
  3. A staff with whom I would charge the gates of hell. The synergy, the energy, the passion for Jesus, you can cut it with a knife. It is all coming together to grow the Kingdom at Cornerstone. Thanks Team for being faithful servants, trustworthy teammates and lovers of Jesus.
  4. Mary Logsdon's German Chocolate Cake baked from scratch. For 10 years she's made me my favorite cake. I can't eat as much of it anymore (Doctor's orders) but I feel loved.
  5. A fellow pastor who just walked by in Panera and said: "You look great. You've lost some weight or gained some muscle and trimmed down." It made me smile. Something to celebrate
It's a new time, a new day, a new year and God is about doing new things. Unexpected things to be sure but He's always at work. Even when we human beings miss the boat, even when we make poor choices, God is at work bringing good out of it all. I can't wait to see what He's got waiting around the next corner - 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment