Thursday, February 6, 2014

How to Pray Constantly

One of my 50th birthday axioms is "pray constantly." But how? Is it really possible? I think it is.

The starting point is to define prayer. In my early days of following Jesus I defined prayer as a specific time, place and posture. Since then I've been through more prayer experiments than I can count.  It was in Seminary that a professor who became a friend transformed my definition. Dr. Steve Harper, in a discussion in his office. In answer to my question about how long one should pray he replied: "Prayer until you meet God."



Up until then prayer had been more about me. Then I started making it about God. When I meet God doesn't necessarily mean I stop praying at that point. It does mean that the connection with God at a deeper level has happened.

Prayer, then, became not about getting an answer,
but about meeting God.

Prayer became, not a way to get what I thought I needed,
but about meeting God who fulfills all my needs.

Prayer became less about a laundry list and more about hearing
from the heart of God to know then what to pray.

This all transformed my life into a life of prayer instead of only moments of prayer. The moments are still important, concentrated, intentional prayer. But the consistent relationship created by constant prayer has increased the transformation of my heart - a transformation I so desperately need. The communion created by constant prayer nourishes an atmosphere of grace and courage to follow God's purpose for my life.

I must confess that it's not been a smooth road, which shouldn't be a surprise. There are more times than I can count when I go through life without that constant prayer. Thankfully, they're less than they used to be, which is an indication that God's working on me still!

In constant prayer God becomes the constant companion. Before this journey began I would often forget God inbetween those moments of prayer. Now His presence guides decisions and guards my heart from moment to moment. Frankly, I've found it easier to make decisions more quickly because life is a more constant prayer.

When prayer becomes less about moments and more about meeting then every conversation becomes a prayer. When I have a conversation with others, treating it like a prayer brings it into the sacred realm. It also guards my tongue! For me it's the practical application of Matthew 18:20…

For where two or three gather in my name,
there I am with them.

This journey started with my conversation at Asbury Seminary. I think a prayer experiment years later took it to a new place. I set a goal of spending an hour in silence with God. Over the course of 30 days I increased the time each day, because the first day and 5 minutes were some of the loudest silence I've ever heard! I can't really describe what it did to my heart but as I look back, it seems the experiment grew my experience of constancy.

I still need dedicated times of prayer but praying constantly means prayer becomes a lifestyle and not just a moment of spiritual achievement, a box to check off. It has taken me more out of my self-centered world and into a God-centered lifestyle. Always? No. Easy? Definitely not. Growing? Yes.




No comments:

Post a Comment