Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Always Only Good - #Haiti2014

Life is always full of potential possibilities for detours, delays and getting drafted to things you didn't expect (or sometimes sign up for). I've experienced my share of these on mission trips:
  • electricity that doesn't work
  • plumbing that plugs up
  • injuries that happen (I think every time I've been involved in a construction trip, I've hurt myself somehow, whether just some scratches or a nail through a boot into my foot)
  • sickness that occurs
  • projects planned that detour to a more pressing need
  • delayed planes
  • cancelled flight with a team of 26 headed home from Mexico
  • forgotten passports or birth certificates (in the old days)
Most of the complaints are related to 1st world conveniences - some expose a hidden selfishness or self-centeredness, or perhaps a need for control when things don't go as planned creating uncertainty in a heart that isn't settled on Who is in control.

Some are totally out of our control like cancelled or delayed flights or the sickness that comes along.

I once heard a speaker refer to the fact that some of the best and most pleasurable things in life happen when we're out of control. He listed a few and I had to agree. It was helpful in opening my eyes to the possibilities of the unknown when things don't go as I planned. I'm reminded of a quote: "If you want to see God laugh, tell Him your plans."

I'm writing on the plane from Port-au-Prince (PAP) to Miami and then onto Columbus. Robyn is not well and we're getting her home. She didn't like that I came along but OMS protocol says no one leaves unaccompanied and I couldn't agree more. "God will do something great with this," I said. "We'll just have to wait and see."

Many times I've mentioned my highly scientifict, deeply theological method for understanding God's will for my life. Are you sitting down? Pay Attention! That's it. We're just travelers on a journey through this life with someone else at the helm. Pay attention to the people you come in touch with and the circumstances that surround you, to the gifts and talents you're given and to the experiences of your life.

Jumla was our driver to the airport, also picking us up on our arrival. He is a believer and so we had a chance to talk as he wove in between cars, and drove like any other Haitian, basically without regard to road markings. He was laughing and praising God when I asked if his home was crushed in the earthquake. "No," he said. "But every other home around me was." He gave thanks to God for the circumstances (while in no way saying God was with Him more than his neighbors). I was encouraged by his faith.

In the PAP airport we sat at a table with 4 men from New Brunswick, Canada. One has been 14 times to Haiti, to one of two orphanages supported by his church. He's 79 years old and when I thanked him for what he's doing with what he's given he teared up, visibly moved, a humble man who obviously loves The Lord.

Two of the men were from that church and two from two others. As we shared our connections and experiences to Haiti and beyond, I mentioned Estonia. Terry has a connection with a man who runs a mission in Estonia. We exchanged that information. Then Athletes in Action came up and Terry knows a guy in New Brunswick who connects with AIA through his own ministry. I got that information, saying, "I don't believe in chance meetings. This is a God thing." I was paying attention.

On the plane we were surrounded by people from the states - a young lady heading home to Minneapolis after 5 weeks in a place I'd never heard of. She chose it and the organization because there are only 2 agencies serving the village. She is on her way to medical school in the Fall and wanted to take this summer to serve, planning to return.

5 college age students from Mt. Carmel in Cincinnati and a team from Mansfield, OH. All of them with that bug for missions, for serving outside the comfort zone. One young man obviously enthralled with a young lady (and she with him) was on his first trip - she on her 5th. Whatever it takes, The Lord will use!!!

God never wastes an experience. God always redeems what He allows. Part of the fun in life is watching for just how He will do those things. I don't do that perfectly well by any means. I can get easily frustrated by unwanted and unexpected situations.

If your plans have been derailed by sickness, keep an eye out. God will do something with it.

Ever been betrayed? God has for some reason allowed it. It could be the most fun of your life to be part of His redemptive process.

Found yourself in unfamiliar surroundings? Look for signs that He is working, because He is.

Keep an eye out, God is working.

When circumstances put us on a detour, an unplanned delay of some sort, we're presented with a choice of obsessing on the event, frustrated by the change - or focused on God who "works in all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

The detour could be a whole new path in life. It could bring about new relationships with new endings. The unexpected could come about by the selfish acts of sinful man or through personal mistakes and unwise choices. It doesn't matter how - it does matter Who is in control.

I don't know why God allows everything. I don't know why God causes some things. I don't know why God doesn't stop some things. And I guess that's the foundation of how to follows Romans 8:28 - I don't know it all, I can't see the big picture but I can trust the heart of God.

So whether sinful man or stupid choices on my part or stuff just happens because I live in an imperfect world populated by imperfect humans, I can believe in good things coming from it because of His heart and character. He is always good.


No comments:

Post a Comment