Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Anticipation Disappointment


In Rock Church - Helsinki, Finland
 During this time of year, much of the world drips with anticipation. Many, but not all, look forward to friends and family, time away from school, presents and food, traveling. We anticipate situations involving family that, well, we just don't seem to get along with. If we're honest, we might not like them. But they're family. This is not the kind of thing we like to anticipate.

I've been a whirlwind journey these past 2 weeks with another 5 days to go. I've been to Barcelona where Christmas festivities were in full bloom with bright lights and songs filling the air. What I was looking for were some unique, indigenous gifts to share with my family. I wanted a nativity scene, for instance, because I love them. My family thinks I'm obsessed - and I might be. I enjoy placing the wise men coming "from afar" because it's Biblically accurate and my family just shakes their heads as my wife moves them back because they mess up her decorating scheme.

In Barcelona I found plenty to choose from, different styles and sizes. It's a religious city with a religious history. I was not disappointed.

Next I found myself in Doha, Qatar for the Winter World Swimming Championships. I didn't expect to find any nativity scenes there! I did, however, happen upon some Christmas ornaments. It was an interesting contrast to be in a Muslim country where a displayed cross or Bible might be frowned upon (perhaps severely) but they know tourists. I was not disappointed but rather pleasantly surprised.

Today I find myself in Tallinn, Estonia to teach at the Baltic Methodist Seminary. I came with anticipation to see good friends, to feed my gift for teaching and to find some of those unique Christmas gifts, and yes, a nativity set.

Methodist Church in Helsinki
Yesterday, my friends took me to Helsinki, Finland by ferry, an easy 2 hour 45 minute trip across the Baltic Sea. Anticipation once again of a new land and my quest.

In Helsinki I found two nativities. Not two styles or sizes but just two and they were not for sale. Both were displayed in church windows (the churches are part of the block of buildings, often with shops underneath, down a step or two, and next to anything from a coffee shop to a hair salon to apartments). I tried to buy one and she laughed at me! I assured her my wife would love it. But that didn't help.
Evangelical Free Church in Helsinki

In Tallinn's Old Town I found one nativity for sale, available with different figures from wise men to donkeys and lambs along with Mary, Joseph & Baby Jesus. One booth out of dozens had it. Just one.

I'm here to teach two classes, the first on Evangelism & Discipleship. In talking with my Estonian friends over the recent months as well as from my own reading, I knew this country to be one of the most secular in Europe. The population has little to no memory of the Church. There is no song or hymn in their hearts. The decades of Russian occupation and oppression were aggressive in limiting such options.

I mentioned my deflated anticipation in class today. I asked: "How many nativity sets do you think I found in Helsinki? In Tallinn?" It shouldn't have surprised us, but it did. For a country that is secular in its orientation, where the church is a sidelight for the majority of the community, the central meaning of Christmas has been lost. It's about decorating trees (so there are many ornaments for sale) and giving gifts (so there are many woolen goods displayed), drinking special drinks and eating special food. So of course Jesus, the nativity, isn't relevant.

 In Methodist Church - Helsinki
Craft shop in Helsinki
In Helsinki is a Methodist Pastor who is seeking to make a difference by making some connections. She calls her craft shop a "first step" into the Church. It is located underneath the church, down two steps from the sidewalk. There we found a group of ladies anticipating class but first eating biscuits and drinking tea and coffee. The classes are taught by a Christian woman from Estonia (she's the one who laughed at my attempt to buy the nativity) using ceremics and fabric as the mediums. Prayer is said. Scripture is read. Skills are taught. Projects are made. The participants aren't "in" the Church yet, but they've taken a "first step."

When all we have to anticipate are presents and trees, lights and food, which are all gone after Christmas, boxed up for another year, what a disappointment it will be. There is so much more. The celebration of the coming of God in Jesus is but a prelude to His coming again in final victory. The first advent anticipates the second advent.

What keeps Jesus central for you at Christmas? Perhaps He is not and so I would ask, would you consider what He is all about?






No comments:

Post a Comment