Sunday, December 14, 2014

Yes

The end of a journey has almost come. Which means the beginning of another is about to start. It all began and continues because I chose to say YES.

I used to be the guy who said no to opportunities. I'm remembering a previous European trip when I was 21, back in 1985. When in West Germany I remember turning down a chance to go to a West German Team water polo practice. In England, on the same trip, I turned down a chance to go to a Pub with new friends. I could run through a long list of "misses" (I hesitate to call them regrets because that's seems too harsh for the subject) because I chose to say no.....I'm too tired....I just don't feel like it....I'm a little nervous about what to expect, so "no, thank you" often came the reply.

Through the years I've tried to turn over a new leaf. To say yes (not as often as Jim Carrey in "Yes Man!") as often as possible. That approach has led me on some great adventures - like this one.

I am beyond privileged to be one of the FINA starters for USA Swimming, which basically opens the possibilities of officiating internationally. Many times I still think they got the wrong guy, but because I said yes to an invitation, I've experienced new things, met new people and been to some amazing places. This journey centered around Short Course World Championships in Doha, Qatar. I have been mentored by others who remind me to say yes, because an opportunity may never come around again. And you always approach a meet like like it could be your last, so do well, and say, "Yes." So I did.

"Yes" also look me on some detours both along the way and on the way home.

with Ellen in Barcelona
First was to Barcelona where I stayed with new friends David & Ellen. They are church planters with a special affinity for sports ministry; Ellen, in particular, with aquatics. After a proper Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day (Ellen is from the U.S.), which included pumpkin pie (the can of filling was my dinner contribution), there was a lot of discussion as we walked, talked, ate and prayed about what God might want to do next in the arena of aquatics.

Do you want to try this food? Yes. Do you want to go to this place? Yes. Yes, yes and yes again.

Then Doha. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have an opportunity to visit this deep into the Middle East. The invitation to Qatar (there seem to be a hundred ways to pronounce it but the locals say "Ku'-tar" with the emphasis more on the first syllable) was a no-brainer. YES! As a result I met people from around the world, brought together by our love for the sport of pool swimming; I had one of the best seats in the house to watch some of the best swimmers in the world; and the opportunity to work with referees from Ukraine and Nigeria, through whom I learned more about the role of the starter and the team we make with the referee.

In Doha I said YES a lot. Yes, I'll try that Lebanese food. Yes, I'll go to the Souq Waqif (the standing market) one more time. Yes, I'll do that, if it would be helpful for the meet. Yes, yes and another yes.

On the way home I stopped in Estonia to teach a couple of classes at the Baltic Methodist Seminary. If you look at a map, Estonia isn't "exactly" on the way home, but I figured it was more in the neighborhood that if I was at home.

It happened because I said, "Yes."

One of my classes in Tallinn
I was privileged to teach a group of Pastors and lay people, those whom are on the front lines pressing forward to take ground for the Kingdom. They were young and older, speaking Estonian, Russian and sometimes English. They taught me so much, asked many challenging questions and they say I helped them with their personal spiritual growth and with ministry.

I've been able to extend friendships with several Estonians and was privileged to eat in the home of Tarmo & Lii, along with their son Kaarel, who is a runner at Biola University in California. I've met new people, significant leaders of Methodism here in Europe - Taavi Hollman, Superintendent of this area - Dr. Ullas Tankler, Executive Secretary for Europe, Middle East and North Africa for the General Board of Global Ministries. 

"Yes" opens doors. When I say yes I meet new people. I experience new things. "No," closes doors. "Yes" opens possibilities.

2 Corinthians 1:20 tells us: "For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ."

Nativity from The Rock Church - Helsinki
The word "Yes" is God's word. All of His promises are fulfilled in Jesus. He is the confirmation and seal of God's promises to us. That's the celebration of Christmas. Can streams be made to flow in the desert? Yes. Can darkness become light? Yes. Will trouble and hardship really not overcome us? Yes. Can I know and live out my purpose in life? Was I created with a purpose? Yes. Christmas is the realization that all of God's planning is happening. It is YES!

Say Yes today. To Jesus. To life. The wonders will never cease. I'm grateful to the people who gave me the opportunity to say it - "YES!"

Second only to the YES of God is the YES of a wonderful woman who awaits my return. Can't wait to be home. Thanks for saying, "Yes."



No comments:

Post a Comment