Monday, January 11, 2016

The Year of 52 - The Beginning

It's my 52nd birthday, a time for reflecting, refocusing, renewing and redeeming. A friend of the heart, Dan, counseled me during a particularly difficult time: "God redeems all that He allows." God doesn't cause everything that happens in our lives. Everything does NOT happen for a reason. God does use everything that happens in our lives, whether by His ordained will, the stupidity or evil of others or our own unwise choices. God redeems all that He allows and I have found that taking time to reflect helps me to refocus, renew and redeem the experiences He has allowed.

There are times I've ignored God and experienced things that He can redeem. There are times I've chosen my own way and run into issues and experiences that weren't His will, but He can redeem them.

With my 52nd birthday I've decided to write about 52 experiences I've had, choices made by me or choices made by others, all of which had an impact on my life. It's not a matter of positive or negative impact because I believe if I learn something, then it's a positive. You can succeed or learn. Failure really isn't an option for me.

I've made a list chronologically, along with some more or less general experiences such as "mission trips" rather than separating out each one. From my earliest childhood memory at 5 years to those life-altering times such as marriage, becoming a parent then a grandparent, there are lessons I've learned. I've uncovered patterns - some of which I don't like - running like threads. It's not surprising but compiling the list brought new insight and appreciation.

I've found that looking back, reflecting, is the best way for me to move effectively forward. It's a way to learn. Distance and time bring clarity to life's experiences. My choices for the most recent two years are suspect at this point, perhaps a little myopic. Time will tell.

The first post will be the week of the 17th, the day I share with Benjamin Franklin and Al Capone, along with a high school classmate, Jill. We're quite a collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment